Friday 14 October 2016

Sepia Saturday No. 344



Just a small post this time...

With the prompt this time being "Travel and Transport", I like many other other bloggers, was spoiled for choice.  I chose this picture.

Taken during World War II probably near Darwin, Australia, this shows my grandfather Arthur Smith driving a jeep with two of his mates.











Grandad served with the Royal Australian Air Force as a navigator,  Since planes are also a form of transport, I have included a photo of his crew with their bomber, also taken at Darwin.

Grandad is second from the left.




8 comments:

  1. Great to have some photographs or your grandfather 'in action'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first photo reminds me of my years in Darwin. Back in those days we didn't worry about skin cancer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, I'm lucky enough to have some photos of my grandfather taken during the war, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two memorable images if your grandfather in wartime service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos! I saw some bomber planes at a museum recently. They were not nearly as big as the one in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to what others have said...I appreciate a grandfather who fought in WW II. And you're lucky to have these pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good pictures of your grandfather and yes, you are lucky to have them. My great grandfather fought in the U.S. Civil War and I have pictures of him in full dress uniform as a Union Naval officer. I'm also lucky enough to have his sword!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for all the beautiful comments. i do consider myself very to have inherited the photo collections from many different branches of both my family and my husband's.

    ReplyDelete